Archive

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Should I buy a new car?


Here's an ethical dilemma, what would you do?

My mum rings me up the other day to ask me if I want to buy a car. It belonged to my great-uncle. She forgets to tell me he'd just passed away! Anyway, he was an old man and his car is well looked after and very low mileage 5 times less than our current 17 year old VW Golf. All things being equal it would last us much longer. In theory it would cost us less to run each year, and as a newer car with a smaller engine it gets better mileage per gallon so is more environmentally friendly. In addition my parents have offered to give us some money to help us get it and it's price to us is a lot less than it's worth. God's providence or a test of my non-consumer willpower?

The only thing is, we already have a car, which works fine. Well it's being MOT'd Tuesday so I'll find out then, but I think it should pass and it could easily last several more years even though it's done 150,000 miles. So do I upgrade even when I don't need to just because it seems like too good a deal to pass up? 

My current plan is to find out the state of the old one - and then decide. Any advice?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a danger of pride here? Being so legalistic about non-consumerism could cause you to miss out on God's provision for you.

If we were talking about a new phone, then I'd agree - you don't need a new one. However cars, unfortunately, are a little different. Having recently had some car problems, I'd jump at this opportunity. You never know, maybe you can bless someone else with your old one...

Phil Whittall on 23 July 2007 at 21:17 said...

It's an interesting point, I was reflecting on it today before I saw your comment and I wondered whether I'd drive my old car as some sort of badge of honour. This is entirely possible, I'd see it as some sort of symbol of my resistance which I hold on to regardless.

I actually also asked God if he'd give me some 'outside' comment having completely forgotten about posting it on the blog. So the first comment gives me pause for thought.

The news on the car is that it needs some serviceable parts replacing but probably little more. MOT tomorrow

Tim Simmonds on 24 July 2007 at 10:20 said...

Take the car. Give your old car away. Everyones a winner.

Be cool to hang at newday. 3pm on friday at GC sounds good. whats your mobile number?

Tim

Post a Comment

Recent posts