Archive

Monday, December 03, 2007

Monster


So this is the fiction book I read, not what I'd normally choose but there it was on my shelves unread and now it isn't. Christian fiction isn't always that great but Peretti is a decent writer and Monster isn't bad. Whatever you think of his plot devices, he writes with good pace, reasonable dialogue and vivid descriptions so the pages turn quickly and easily. There are some good twists and turns and there's a fair bit more blood and gore than you may have expected.

However the central plot device requires a healthy imagination, not necessarily a bad thing. At the heart of it, he makes a point which is that in evolution mutation doesn't improve upon the original, seeking to score a fiction point for the creationists. There's also Bigfoot. Anyway, it was OK and I although I think I still need a bit more fiction in me I'm reading for some more serious stuff too. So job done.

1 comments:

Tim Simmonds on 3 December 2007 at 16:43 said...

I read "this present darkness" and its ridiculousness made me laugh out loud! At one point he suggested all video arcade games had demons in them and if you played a video arcade you would get demonized!!! Brilliant.

Post a Comment

Recent posts