Archive

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Book Review: When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box


When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box is the latest book by John Ortberg and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Here are my reasons why:

  1. It was on a subject close to my heart at the moment, being rich towards God.
  2. It included down to earth teaching on the importance of not focusing on stuff and instead focusing on people.
  3. It talked about loving God and loving people.
  4. It was easy to read
  5. It made me laugh
  6. It made me cry - the Johnny the bagger story
It was encouraging and uplifting and it didn't make my brain hurt. I needed that. Here are some great quotes from the book:

"Being rich towards God means becoming generous with your stuff"
"In the new game, people who try to make themselves servants - humbly, honestly and joyfully -keep getting revealed as the biggest winners."
"Jesus promised those who would follow him only three things: that they would be absurdly happy, entirely fearless and always in trouble. The problem is that most of us figure that 2 out of 3 ain't bad."
"Declare today, "Enough Day". What I have now - my home, my possessions, my lifestyle - is enough. I will seek another and better kind of wealth than terminal acquisition."

And on that note, I'll sheepishly and with the irony not lost on me, that if you want to buy the book, you can do so by clicking the cover or title link....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts