Archive

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Social Action Conference


I've been a bit busy preparing talks and hit a run of meetings (will they ever end?) but I've enjoyed preparing for part of a seminar called 'how to live a mercy filled life in a difficult world' at the upcoming Newfrontiers social action conference. If you're going to be there, come and say 'Hi'.

It's always a personal challenge to speak at these things, especially on the above topic. After all, when are you ever an expert on that? There are times when I think what I'm doing is compassionate and it turns out not to be, other times it's the other way around. Sometimes I don't feel love but I do the loving thing, sometimes I don't want to do the loving thing because it's hard. So thinking about mercy has been encouraging and as soon as I get an audio or link I'll post it up here along with my brief powerpoints.

But I'm not there yet, so how would you answer the question, 'how do you lead a mercy filled life?' I'd love to hear your thoughts

To see the range of projects Newfrontiers is involved in, watch this short presentation

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently I was praying (!!) about the idea of mercy and grace and the lyrics to a song by Josh Groban came to me...'You raise me up so i can stand on mountains, you raise me up to walk on stormy seas, I am strong when i am on your shoulders, you raise me up to more than i can be'. I think that mercy in a difficult world is one of the biggest challenges that face us. I'm at the stage where i am aware that i cannot be merciful without God's help, He raises me up 'to more than i can be', to act kindly when i want to scream and shout! And when someone is difficult or unkind, i have to focus on their goodness and as Martin Luther King said 'Hate the act, not the person'. I work on the premise that if i am active in being kind and loving then it will have more positive ends than negative ones. Simple things like letting someone out from a junction when i'm driving, smiling and thanking people for letting me go, or buying biscuits for collegues on a day when work might be hard, are small acts but can make the biggest difference. Not sure that answers it!! I'm new to all of this! xx

Post a Comment

Recent posts