Archive

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Adbusting: PSP




I wonder how many people know the music from this advert was ripped out of Sunday School? I didn't shout at the TV this time, but similar to my friend Andy's experience while watching an ALDI ad, I boiled on the inside.

This ad is dangerous on all sorts of levels. Firstly, it says the power is yours, destiny is in your hands. Life is what you make it. Sure, but sort of world will I make if I just play on computer games?

That's the second problem, that you can experience the 'world' through a screen. You don't actually have to go outside and talk to anyone, do anything, go anywhere, make anything. No the world is in your hands while your bum is on the sofa. The world was not made so we could experience it through a screen, whatever Sky or HD makers tell you. Nothing is as high definition as actually seeing it.

Third problem is that life is about being entertained. Life is not about working or doing 'hard' things. Life is not about denying yourself, quite the opposite - life is about filling yourself to the max.

Whatever the blessings of computer consoles (and I have a borrowed PS2 and Wii in my lounge), we can't fall into the trap of thinking the way these adverts encourage us to think.

2 comments:

Gary on 11 December 2008 at 13:29 said...

I totally agree. In fact, I blogged about this last week, but I like your analysis better. Keep up the ad-busting!

http://garymcmurray.blogspot.com/2008/12/whos-got-whole-world-in-their-hands.html

Phil Whittall on 11 December 2008 at 14:29 said...

Thanks Gary, let me know about other ads you bust.

Post a Comment

Recent posts