Archive

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I want to be frugal


Regular commenter Mark Heath left a comment here after this post on frugal living. I thought it was so good that it should be a post of its own. Do stop by Mark's blog as he often has good stuff to say.
"I was reflecting recently on the fact that the word frugal doesn't appear in any worship song ever. I have been thinking about how I can rectify this lamentable situation with a new song of my own.

I've got most of the lyrics for the first section worked out. It goes to the tune of Paul Oakley's classic song "I want to be holy":

I want be frugal, I want be prudent
I want to spend my cash the way you want me to
I want be solvent, not living on credit
I want to be content with what you've given me

I want to be debt-free, not walking in worry
I want to give away what you have given me

I want to be much more generous
I want to be more like you
Keep helping me give more freely


feel free to suggest additional lines if you know the tune"
So if you can add to this or write a better song of simplicity then send them in and we'll publish them.

4 comments:

Al Shaw on 21 January 2009 at 23:34 said...

I've put it on Paul Oakley's facebook page. This could be the end of Mark's career in IT.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it Phil! I've been working on the final section. The original lyrics say "good-bye" to a list of sins: "good-bye hage, good-bye rage, good-bye anger, etc"

I am looking for another one-syllable and a two syllable money related sin, to go along with greed and hoarding.

Good-bye greed good-bye ???
Good-bye hoarding good-bye ???
Good-bye therapeutic shopping
Good-bye love of wealth

Phil Whittall on 22 January 2009 at 08:16 said...

How about avarice for one?

Anonymous said...

OK, I think I've got the good-bye section done:

Good-bye greed good-bye waste
Good-bye craving good-bye hoarding
Good-bye therapeutic shopping
Good-bye love of wealth

I've just got two more lines to write in the first section. I'll see if I can fit avarice in!

For the build-up to the good-bye section I will leave the original words unchanged as they still fit:

I want to right the wrong
I want to live this song
Now I'm pressing on
I'm gonna leave my sin behind

Post a Comment

Recent posts