Archive

Saturday, January 03, 2009

I'm a Geek


I hate to admit this but the more I've blogged the more I've messed around with the settings and appearance of everything my blog, to my desktop, to all the applications I use. There is only one conclusion. I am a geek. This is doubly annoying as nearly 20 years ago my best friend nicknamed me Geekboy when it was blatantly untrue and now it has come to pass. Gutted.

Anyway, here are my top 10 resources and whatnot to simplify or enhance your computer experience and more.
  1. Right at the top has to be Lifehacker. The site is genius, with tips and articles on everything from your health to your PCs health. Got some great ideas here, just great.
  2. For blogging in addition to Blogger I now use ScribeFire which allows me to blog from any page without having to head back to blogger all the time
  3. For research projects zotero is ace, allowing you to create bibliographies, bookmakr pages and build your sources
  4. For music while you work, Last.fm is great, creating playlists based on music you like - your own personalised radio station - ace.
  5. For the coolest presentations ditch powerpoint and use SlideRocket instead
  6. For sharing files Issuu is pretty good
  7. Launchy means you can declutter all the icons from your desktop
  8. If you use Firefox then sitelauncher gives you keyboard shortcuts for your most used websites
  9. For studying the Bible it would be hard to go wrong downloading e-sword
  10. Three for the price of one here on computer health - AVG (for stopping viruses); CCleaner (for clearing out rubbish) and for stopping spam Cactus Spam Filter

3 comments:

Matthew Hosier on 3 January 2009 at 09:38 said...

Or you could just get a Mac!

Phil Whittall on 3 January 2009 at 17:48 said...

If only...unfortunately Macs reside out of the range of my budget! The wife has one though for her design work.

Anonymous said...

the distinction between geeks and non-geeks is that non-geeks value gadgets and applications for what they can do, and see them as tools, while geeks value them in their own right and see them as friends.

In strictly non-geek fashion I second last.fm, (which is playing me the beautiful Lakes of Canada by The Innocence Mission at the moment) and I'd add Dropboks for transferring files, and the Flock browser. You can blog from any page on flock, drag and drop images into blog posts, save snippets and links in a tray, and access all RSS feeds and favourite sites from the opening page.

Post a Comment

Recent posts