Archive

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How to get rid of your stuff *updated*


We suffer from having too much stuff. Sometimes I think we have too little space but mostly I think we have too much stuff. The question then is 'how do you get rid of it?'
Here are my top places for getting rid in (mostly useful) ways of the surplus in my life.
  1. For books (of which we have plenty) we use BookMooch. It allows us to pass on books that we've read but aren't sure we want to keep and request books we might like to read one day. Just put 8 more books on.
  2. For other things we usually use Freecycle. Just last week the golf clubs and trolley that haven't been used in a year or more went to a good home.
  3. The local recycling centre is excellent. Emma bought me 6 new T-shirts at the weekend, much needed in her opinion so out went 8 well worn T-shirts (if you can get rid of more than you take on, that's good), a bundle of socks and other assorted no longer needed clothes. I also picked up a Harry Potter book, a Beano album and a DVD.
  4. Local charity shops. They do good business from us in clothes, children's stuff and assorted household goods.
*Update* I meant to add this but couldn't find it because they've changed their name but check out www.streetbank.com which is a new idea launched by some guys known to us at Breathe. Have a look and see if you can join in and make it happen...seems like a good idea
I've not bothered with ebay or amazon, because giving away things for free is more enjoyable for me.

1 comments:

Peter on 25 August 2009 at 22:13 said...

Giving stuff away for free is also a whole lot simpler. I tried to put some things on ebay once, it was a nightmare. Freecycle took them away from me much quicker and without the hassle!

Post a Comment

Recent posts