Archive

Monday, January 15, 2007

At last a responsible supermarket?


Sometimes life can be a bit confusing can't it? I'm reading 'Shopped' by Joanna Blythman which is a pretty damning (let me revise that), utterly damning report on the damage the control of supermarkets is having on our nations health, economy and culture. M and S are included in the firing line. Then blow me down if I don't go and read about M and S becoming carbon-neutral and probably the worlds biggest retailer of fair trade clothing. For a BBC assessment of the announcement read this. For the M and S press release click here

Having wondered out loud where next in my ethical lifestyle journey and evaluating some of the habits we buy into, because, well we just have. I began to think changing the way I shop might be it (and it might) but this news might just make me change where I shop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If M&S were still in Canada I'd buy as much from them as possible. At the end of the day corporations have no "duty" to act responsibly: they merely respond to our demands. The onus is on us.

Anonymous said...

Ross. You assume that corporations are neutral and have no obligation other than to their customers. Can this really be true?

Post a Comment

Recent posts