Archive

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Where should Generosity flow from?


Last Sunday I preached from Colossians 2:6-7 on growing in Christ. In my understanding growing in Christ is what discipleship is about, it is about obeying Christ and following Christ. That has led me to freshly reflect on the two greatest commandments:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself."

If I love God with all that I have, if I love people as I love myself then how could it be possible for me to live in any other way than one of complete generosity? I just can't see it, but this has some disturbing implications. This applies to more than generosity but it's my focus, so if I'm not being generous than I'm failing to apply these two greatest commandments. It's a logical conclusion I think.

I concluded that if Jesus says these are the two greatest things I can do with my life then that's good enough for me. I'm inspired by people who did great things, attempted great things, trusted God for great things. But Jesus says these are the greatest - love God, love people. What is so beautiful about this, is that anyone can do the greatest things. Education, opportunity, wealth, ability count for nothing when it comes to loving God and loving people. Too often people with all of the former forget this and do indeed do great things but just not the greatest. 

So I see this at work, I love God and I love people as I do so, God works on my heart changing and transforming me and what I find hard now becomes what I do naturally, generous living as well as generous giving. It might be easier said than done, but maybe it's not all that complicated. Just do two things.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These 2 things are the most difficult to really do it. I struggle with it and often failed, because I guess, the focus is still on myself. Not God. Not on my neighbour. Maybe what I really need, is to die. Die to self, so that I can truly love God and my neighbour.

Great site!

Warm Regards,
Authentic Disciple from Singapore
http://authenticdiscipleship.blogspot.com

Phil Whittall on 18 November 2007 at 17:35 said...

Thanks for your comment. It's amazing for me to know my blog is being read all over the world. Humbling. Anyway, I don't know if I'm further on either. It's struck me though how much more complicated I've made it, when Jesus simplified it so much for us. I might try an experiment for a day, to love God and a day to love neighbours and just see how different that feels. Keep going in your efftorts to love Him the most.

Post a Comment

Recent posts