Archive

Friday, June 27, 2008

Lifestyle changes


It's a while since I've posted on the subject of sustainable ways of living, but it's certainly not gone away. So it was an encouragement to me to read this post by Mark Heath and he makes some interesting points.

On Global Warming:
"It seems that the consensus is that global warming is real and man-made, although every now and then I come up against skeptics (some more believable than others). To be honest, I'm not sure I really need to know. Most of the "good for the environment" things you can do have merits of their own irrespective of whether the planet is in immanent peril or not."
I agree. And one of his final points is worth thinking about too...
"Second, I think the reason so many Christians care so little about environmental issues is nothing to do with their eschatology but rather because of syncretism. We have made it possible to mix Christianity with secular materialistic consumerism."
Sadly, this is probably true too. But do read the whole thing.

I also came across this on MSN listing 21st Century Lifestyle Sins. Interesting choice of word, sin still has some resonance today it seems. I am regularly committing sins 2,6,7,9,11 & 12.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting point someone (don't know who) made was that the world is not in peril - it will only ever be in peril if it collides with another planet or gets burned up by the sun. What we really mean is not that we're "destroying our planet", we're just making it less suitable for human life.

Hmm, humans must be important.

Post a Comment

Recent posts