Archive

Friday, October 03, 2008

More on Christian Bookshops


Obviously being an owner of a Christian bookshop means these old institutions are dear to my heart, but are undergoing something of a sea change - some are dying and the pace of closure is expected to quicken. The market (Christians) has largely disappeared or moved elsewhere.

But it's not just in this country it's happening, but in the US as well as this post, The truth about Christian bookstores from Dan Edelen explains.

For regular updates on Christian bookshops in the UK check out Phil Groom's Christian Bookshops Blog which has some recent challenges faced by Christian internet retailers or here at another blog Phil runs. So if you buy online why not buy from a Christian online. Cue plug for www.illuminatebooks.co.uk

One theme has re-occured a few time, and that is 'why do reformed Christians dislike Wesley Owen so much?' I'm not sure why but it seems to me they do. Answers on a comment form please...some like Hugh Bourne have begun the discussion here

My other related posts (unimaginatively titled it seems)

5 comments:

Peter Kirk on 3 October 2008 at 15:29 said...

'why do reformed Christians dislike Wesley Owen so much?'

Could it be because they cannot tolerate anyone who allows different Christian viewpoints to be expressed? I have certainly seen a lot of such intolerance from "reformed" bloggers and commenters.

Peter Kirk on 3 October 2008 at 15:32 said...

By the way I can't answer your poll because there is no "Other" category. The answer for me, over the last couple of years, is that I have bought the largest number of Christian books from bookstalls at conferences etc I have attended.

Hughbo on 4 October 2008 at 22:03 said...

Hi Phil...

Do you not consider yourself to be a reformed Christian??

I should just clarify, I often go in to my local Wesley Owen (looking for bargains), I don't have a boycott... although Amazon is cheaper and there is an independent Christian bookshop about 5mins walk from my house.

Turn the question round, why would I like a bookshop that sells (some) books which teach false gospels?? Galatians 1:9

Sometimes the false gospel is blatant, sometimes subtle... I'll give you one name - Joel Osteen, his books are in my local WO... nuff said?

Phil Whittall on 5 October 2008 at 13:41 said...

Hi Hugh
I'm not in the 'dislike Wesley Owen' camp, but it was the fact that the comments I've heard all came from reformed Christians, which is why I thought it worthy of mention. This group above others seem to have an issue. I might be wrong.

The issue that interests me the most though is that although Amazon will sell far more Joel Osteen than WO, because Amazon is secular and WO Christian - buying from Amazon is seen as better. And I just wonder at what that says about our ethics. Now if the issue that chooses our custom is price or customer service, fair enough - go where that is best (possibly Amazon) but when other issues are brought in such as the theology of the stock held, it gets more complicated.

Anonymous said...

Didnt realise you ran a bookshop have added it to my fav's

Post a Comment

Recent posts