Archive

Friday, July 31, 2009

Willimon on: Advertising


I'm enjoying getting acquainted with the sermons of William Willimon. Here's a gem,
"As far as I can tell, public discourse in our society is now owned entirely by advertising. We are a culture of omnivorous desire. Our conversation tends to be limited, even at college, to 'Here are my needs, appetites, yearnings, and desires; now, how can I fulfil them?' Everything, everyone exists only to satisfy my relentless need, with no critique of which needs are really worth having."
Sums it up quite well.

1 comments:

Unknown on 1 August 2009 at 17:13 said...

So, what then are true biblical desires? To know God and to make him known? To find the inner strength to obey the main commands - to love him with all our heart, soul, mind, strength and to love each other as we love ourselves, to love mercy, do justly and walk humbly? I think that in this is the way forward. Ultimately we are called on to SPEND OURSELVES not on ourselves. If Tom Wright is correct in "Surprised by Hope" (and I think he is), then everything we "spend" of ourselves in this life will be integrated into our resurrection body and contribute to the wonder and beauty of the new heavens and the new earth. That is, on balance, better than getting a new DVD player....or have I missed something?
I was walking through Shrewsbury this morning and saw the contents of TK Maxx - and the thought struck me "All of this belongs to God" (he may not want it, of course, but it is his...). Everything we own, wear, create, grow, buy, sell, love, hate, keep or give away - all of it belongs to Jesus, not to us. Stewards of the earth and all that is in it, not the owners of it...

Post a Comment

Recent posts